Supreme Vinegar is the world’s only large-scale manufacturer of mothers of vinegar using modern and controlled processes. Our mother’s of vinegar are made from raw feedstock (red wine, white wine, beer, cider, etc.) to produce vinegar that is steeped in a vital culture of acetic acid bacteria in order to rapidly produce a healthy mother for your own home vinegar production. Our mothers of vinegar allow you to create 32 oz. (1 quart) of vinegar on the first batch. You can re-use your mother that you grew on subsequent batches indefinitely. Remember, no vinegar tastes better than that you make on your own and Supreme Vinegar is here to help you all the way!
What is Mother of Vinegar?
Mother of vinegar is a colony of bacteria (don’t gasp). These are the good bacteria called Acetobacter. They perform the same purpose for making vinegar as yeast does to make wine. They form the mother on the surface since they require oxygen to convert wine to vinegar and the surface is where the air is at.
- Add Mother of Vinegar and 8 oz of water to 16 oz of red wine
- Place in glass, wood, or food safe HDPE plastic container
- Cover with a loose fitting lid or lid with holes in it.
- Place cheese cloth over lid to prevent insects from entering but allows for aeration
- Allow to sit for 6 to 8 weeks
- Ideal aging temperatures are 80 - 85 degrees